Wednesday, January 23, 2008

January 24th Blog

In our classroom there is not very much of response centered talk. I think in order for this to happen there needs to be some activities that correlate with the stories that the students are reading and this is not happening. The students are not able to make new discoveries the way that they do their readings. Each reading group just reads the story and then they do a worksheet about it and then they switch off to another book. It does not seem like they have much of a chance for discovery or even time to really process what just happened in the book. The one thing that is encouraged is a little conversation, but only when there is time. They do get a chance to talk about what they are seeing, but this is only the times that I or Brittany are in the classroom. Otherwise our teacher has said that she really does not have time for many things especially because she has to meet with all of the other groups.

I also feel that there are many students in our classroom that need more scaffolding than they are receiving. When the teacher is working with one reading group the others pair up, but sometimes this is not productive. One reason being that they know they are not really being watched, but another more important reason is that they are not really sure what they should be doing. Some even have a hard time reading the book that they have, so it is hard for them to finish the worksheet on that book. Overall I think that it is very important that we are in the classroom because I think that these students are able to do so much more. Such as at least leaning in the direction of response centered talk. However, this is not the likely hood of most classrooms and that leaves me worried about how I am going to handle all of my students and to make sure that they are getting as much out of my teaching as they should.

1 comment:

Nicole H. said...

Amber, I have also had this same concern about how I will be able to do things like response-centered talk in my classroom. What will the other students in the classroom be doing during this time, how will I be able to keep the rest of the class quiet and not disrupting us during the talk? While I have these concerns I think it is important to try and do response-centered talk in my classroom. One of the ways I will do this is setting up norms in the classroom on how the group doing the talk will act as well as the rest of the class. I think something like this will take time and practice, especially in the younger grades.