Monday, April 7, 2008

Guest Speaker - Autism

I thought the guest speaker had some great ideas and tricks that will really work in the classroom. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect. I have an autistic cousin and I felt like the speaker even helped me gain insight into what was going on with his life. My cousin loves football, and could tell you absolutely anything about any player on his favorite teams. He is really enthusiastic professional athletes in general. It always seemed odd to me that he was about to recall obscure facts about individual football players, and all their statistics, yet he struggled with some things that are very basic to me.

If you are interested in learning more about Autism, I found the documentary "Autism is a World" to be very profound. I watched it about a year ago after finding it on a library shelf. It was the story of an autistic girl, written and "narrated" by herself. She had an excellent way with words on paper, but she could hardly speak or otherwise express herself verbally or physically, so she wrote much of the documentary, and had someone narrate it.

No comments: