Monday, April 21, 2008

Literature Circles/ Book Club

I am excited to present literature circles and book club to the class! I've always enjoyed reading novels and other books, but I can understand how it can become frustrating. I know what it is like to get partway through a book and feel like you cannot finish it. I feel that literature circles personally motivated me to finish books so that I could be part of class discussions.

I can also see the downside to this. If students feel like the only reason they are reading a book is because they don't want to be left behind, then they are not very intrinsically motivated to read. This can lead to a negative attitude towards reading, which is something I do not want to create!

I have a lot of personal experience as a student with literature circles, but only some brief interaction with my 5th grade class as a teacher. It is hard to find books that a whole group of very different students will all enjoy and at the same time give them good content.

No comments: