Friday, March 21, 2008

March 20th Post - New Literacy Project


For my new literacies project I decided to do visual literacy using graphic organizing. I chose visual literacy because I am a visual learner and thought it would be interesting to learn more about it. I found that visual literacy is actually a really great tool for students to engage in high-order thinking. Visual literacy is a fun and different way for students to be assessed instead of a work sheet or a test. Visual literacy is videos, pictures, graphic organizers, images, basically anything represented graphically. My partner also used graphic organizing to present visual literacy and we were a little disappointed in it. We all know what graphic organizers are and most of us have used some form of them one time or another. We were excited about learning more about it because we thought there was some new and technology savvy way to do them...there's not. At least what we could find, without having to pay for a program, the graphic organizers we found were the same old worksheets that we had done in school. However, when presenting our projects to the different groups some people came up with ways that you could make graphic organizing different and more fun. My favorite suggestion was using on a smart board and having students up and interactively creating their own graphic organizer.

No comments: