Friday, March 21, 2008

March 13th Post

I think that word walls are a great idea for ELL classrooms and beginning readers classrooms. I was able to learn a little more about them in Chapter five, where Tompkins talks about word recognition and high-frequency words. My CT has a “word wall” but it is not used to its full potential. She has a few high-frequency words on it but not anywhere near what it could have. The students don't seem to know it is there let alone use it. A couple times when a student has asked me for help on a word like together, I have looked up at the word wall to see if I can use it to help them...it didn't even have the word to and get on it!

For my small group lesson I have been thinking about doing something that will help the two students that I choose with comprehension. Things like word recognition, word identification, fluency, etc. This chapter really helped me jump start on what I want to do with those students to help them become better readers and writers.

No comments: