Thursday, March 13, 2008

Fostering independent learning

I thought the articles about having children figure out an unfamiliar world on their own were very interesting. I will use the strategies discussed because it fosters responsibility in children. It encourages them to take charge of their own learning and not depend on others too quickly. It think it also empowers them to believe they can successfully figure out the meanings of unfamiliar words and encourages them to develop strategies to use when reading in the future. As a teacher, I will use this strategy with all grades. It can be used from lower elementary to high school. I often still encounter words that I'm unsure about and have to look up online or read within the context of a sentence. I also liked how this strategy reaches across subjects because a student can be reading for science and still develop strategies for figuring out an unfamiliar word.

1 comment:

Nicole H. said...

I agree with you that the new literacies that we talked about, like the word wall, will help students to become more independent and rely more on their own ability. This way they can investigate for themselves how to spell and sound out words without always asking the teacher or their fellow students for help. I hated looking up words when I was younger, I just wanted someone to tell me, I didn't see the big deal. Now I see why it was so important for me to look them up myself.